An Open Book

National Collegiate Honors Council

October 27th, 2008 at 9:11 am by Jana

I was in San Antonio, Texas, from the 21st to the 26, Tuesday thru Sunday of this week, for the National Collegiate Honors Council. The conference invites honors students and administrators from all over the country to attend to learn how to make honors programs better and more innovative. The President and Vice President, Ivana and Timea respectively, also attended, along with Dr. Villa, the honors advisor.

conference.jpg

I was accepted to the Poetry Master Class, where I was able to share my poetry with two other girls. We made comments on how to improve each other’s poetry. It was really useful to get someone else’s opinion, a peer’s opinion. There were also master classes for drama, film, and music. Near the end of the conference, there was a showcase where many of us, including me, presented our work to other members of the conference.

conference-2.jpg 

In addition to the classes, there were many (and I stress many) sessions for improving honors programs. Some of the ones we attended included how to make a good newsletter, how to get published in the NCHC journals, using a S.W.O.T. Analysis to improve honors, Students in Honors, Fundraising for Honors, and Small College Honors Issues. Ivana and Timea attended so many of them and took pages and pages of notes. They’re really enthusiastic about improving our honors program, and just need the participation of the students to make it work. I believe our next honors meeting is Monday, November 3. Dr. Villa will be sending out an email as a reminder. It would be great if all of our honors students could attend!

Posted in Travel | 1 Comment »

One Response

1. Ashlea Says:

Congratulations!