Face Time

A Bitter-Sweet Good-Bye

by Arianna Nicolette Shaffer | May 31, 2012

E.E Cummings once said, “It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” Before I graduated from High School you could say that I wasn’t the most confident person. Growing up in Tucson AZ, I never felt like I was smart, talented, or like I belonged anywhere. Although I enjoyed being the baby in my family, I felt like I needed something more in life.  As I applied to many colleges such as Lynn, my acceptance letter made me feel courageous, and my gut feeling told me to go this school.  Little did I know this would be the best choice I have ever made.  The past 4 years at Lynn has been an amazing journey.  There have been both good and bad times.  I have met and gained incredible friends, and sadly lost friends who have touched my heart.  Through this college journey I’ve learned so much about people, life, the world, and most importantly I’ve learned a lot about myself, and what I am capable of.  When I came to Lynn I wasn’t sure what I wanted to get out of my college experience, but what I quickly learned was that the sky was the limit, and I could do or be whatever I wanted.  I found a strong passion in the field of multimedia journalism.  I got a lot of fulfillment in writing and being an on-camera reporter, and its safe to say the camera became my best friend, it became my life.

They say “time flies when your having fun” and it certainly is true.  The past 4 years I’ve had so much fun and have been able to accomplish so much that I never thought I would have been capable of doing if you had asked me 4 years ago.  During my career at Lynn I have landed amazing internships, one being a writer for Boca Magazine.  I have received media credentials to report at numerous events, like the Think Pink Rocks concert where I got to interview celebrity performers.  I’ve done investigative news stories, one being the issue of safe sex in college, I’ve been a writer for iPulse, where I received 3rd place for best news story in the 2011 Florida College Press awards, and I became a Lynn student blogger, all while maintaining a spot on the deans list each semester.  However, my biggest and proudest accomplishment at Lynn has been the success of ‘Beyond the Brief’ presented by iPulse, Lynn’s student news show, which I created 3 and a half years ago with my fellow co-host Ricky Freebery, who I can’t thank enough for sticking by my side during the progression of our show.  There have been  so many people who have touched my life in so many ways and I cannot thank the Lynn community enough!

The education I got, the friends that I made, and the people I met is more than I could ever bargain for.  As Confucius once said, “Wherever you go, go with all your heart.”  As this chapter in my book of life comes to an end, a new chapter is about to begin and I am proud to say I have found myself, and who I was meant to be all along.  We are all capable of doing and being whatever we want in life, it just takes a bit of courage, that’s all.

Categories: Life & Leisure, Lynn

1 Comment

ada 6/8/12 12:56 am

Very inspirational article. Thank you for your share,great,