Keeping Score

Getting to Where You Are

by Gene | July 28, 2009

This summer, I worked camps at three great universities. And it really showed me something.

Nobody can get to the top or to where they are at the current point without other people.

Yes, you go places or might be where you are by your work ethic, but nobody starts without somebody else’s help. And I certainly am no different.

I have plenty of people who have gotten me to where I am today and I will probably forget to name some and for that I apologize now.

First, my parents. I wouldn’t be alive without them. They raised me and have supported me my whole life. I can never repay them and would be nothing without them. They’ve always guided me, but never been overprotective. I will always love them for everything they’ve done.

Second, my brothers. Philip and Ben have always supported me. With Ben being autistic, I was forced to grow up faster in order to be able to handle it. But its also made me realize how rewarding it is to have a brother like him. Philip has been supportive of me, even though we are two completely different people. I know he will always have my back and I hope he knows I’ll always have his.

Third, my grandparents. They’ve always supported me. My mom’s parents have been like a second set of parents just in another city. My dad’s mom taught me golf when I was little and gavve me somebody I could really connect with and has always been supportive. Even though I never knew my dad’s dad, he’s always driven me. People have told me that I remind them of him and that made me want to uphold that, because I’ve never heard a negative thing about him, and it makes me want to live up to that.

Fourth, to the rest of my family. Aunts, uncles, cousins. They’ve all supported me and shown me how that I have the greatest family in the world. To my cousin Jay being like a big brother to me, to my cousin Nicole. Even though she can be a pain at times, I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

Fifth, to Coaches McMillin, Hayes, Heskett, and Crislip. They’ve all helped me in my growth as a future coach. Coach McMillin has helped me get into camps and helped me meet other coaches. He has done more for me than I could ever have imagined. Coach Hayes has always given me advice when I needed it, as have Coach Heskett and Coach Crislip.

Sixth, to all my friends. They’ve all been supportive of me and had my back when a problem arose. When I thought my dad had a heart attack; Anthony, John, Charlie all surrounded me and gave me a group hug to help cheer me up, then started making jokes to help get my mind off of the whole situation. It made me realize I have the greatest friends in the world. This group includes those 3, Renee, Lauren Fry, Sam, Dorothy, Jesse, Lauren Delgman, Lauren Davis,and so many more that I’m sure I’ll catch hell for not mentioning.

Seventh, all the faculty that I’ve encountered at Lynn. From Anthony and Jen, to Jason and Christina and Jena and Laura, to Professor Curtis and Stefanie Powers. Everyone of them and everyone else at Lynn has made me feel like family and shown me that everyone on campus is just as important as the next.

If it wasn’t for all these people I would be nothing. I wouldn’t be anywhere near as happy as I am now.

Gene

Categories: Home, Random

1 Comment

T. Curtis 7/28/09 12:42 pm

Thanks for the kind words…and the great job on the blog! Keep it up! And check out our shout-out to you on our Twitter site: http://www.twitter.com/LynnUSportsMgmt — Prof. Curtis