Knight View

International Students; Welcome!

by Kelz | August 23, 2010

Welcome!!!!

Welcome!!!!

Hey guys, Let me be the first to welcome you all to a place called college… I’ll also be the first to tell you that the transition to college life, in South Florida, is probably the best experience that awaits you all. I knew when I came here that the best thing about this place, over the years had always been its international feel. Honestly, I’ve seen more international people during my time here than I expected. Even more than that, Lynn¬†resembles¬†everything you need to know about the cross-sectional cultural aspect of South Florida. In short this college is the hub of international students. The statistics say one international in every four students, but it surely feels like it’s a lot more than that. To cap it off, most of the local students all seem to come from out of state (No Joke). So I hope you will be happy to learn that there will be no push to force you to conform or identify with any particular group of students. Everyone is away from home like you.

So as you all come to school this week, please be aware that this is probably the best place you could have signed up to go to. As long as you remember what’s most important to you, the rest will take care of itself. This is South Florida and the fun will never be at a short supply, but at the same time the opportunities to succeed will come faster than you anticipate; so keep your eyes and ears open at all times. You do not want to be that person that blames everyone for what could have been. With all that said and done, I can’t wait to meet most of you over the next few weeks. It is known that at times the going may get tough being away from the fam and everything, but always remember that you are not the first and you most certainly won’t be the last.

I have learned over the past couple of years that all individual experiences are different. My freshman year can never be the same as yours. However, the principles of staying a happy individual are pretty universal. As long as you stay in touch with the family and stick to what you believe in; in the midst of all the fun, your college life will be satisfactory. Lastly, I wish you all a great first year, and I hope you enjoy your life to the fullest. Lynn will certainly present that opportunity. Oh by the way, remember to drink lots of water and always have a cloth to wipe the fog off your sun-glasses every time you walk out of a building. WELCOME!!!

1 Comment

Stefano 10/2/10 10:28 am

Great post Kelvin. I felt exactly the same way when I first came to Lynn (a while back!!!!)