Knight Writer

Where’s the new Facebook?!

by Laura | October 7, 2011

On September 22, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced at the annual f8 conference that Facebook as we know it would be changing. Well, it’s been two weeks and the release (which includes a really cool timeline feature) still isn’t available to the public. I don’t know about you, but I’m ready for it to be available to the public and more importantly for Lynn, to transfer over to the pages.

Sources say that the launch is so far behind because Facebook is being sued by Timelines.com. I personally don’t think the little Timelines.com can even begin to compete with Facebook – an international powerhouse – but we have to give them credit for trying. Hopefully they’ll get everything sorted out and roll out the new Facebook code sooner than later.

So what’s so cool about the new Timelines? Well, I’m an app “developer” and got early access to the launch. Here’s an example of what your profile will look like:

Pretty cool, huh? You can put your own “cover” image at the top (my cover image is one of my favorites from the beach at the Omphoy Hotel in Palm Beach where Josh and I got engaged last year)! And your profile image, although smaller, is basically the same. See “10 Amazing Facebook Timeline Covers and Photos” here. Very creative, ehh?

What really makes Timeline awesome is that you can search from the beginning of your Facebook life. I joined Facebook back in 2005 – basically the day Lynn University got “accepted” into the network. Can you even remember when college students (with a college e-mail) were the only people who could use Facebook? Crazy. Well, with a click of a button, I was able to see the first post on my Facebook wall from my freshman year in college. Not so surprisingly, the post was from my best friend, Danielle.

And that’s just the beginning of what you can do! You can go through and add “major life events” into your timeline. For example, graduating high school, graduating college, moving to a new town, getting engaged, getting married, buying your first house, etc., etc. can all be added to your timeline – with pictures to represent them. It’s basically like a virtual scrapbook of your life. I love it!

So, what does this mean for businesses – and Lynn University’s official Facebook pages? Well, no one is really sure what to expect yet, but being around Facebook for a while, it’s almost inevitable that the “pages” will eventually mimic the look and feel of the profiles. Facebook posted a great article about what Facebook Page Administrators should do after f8, but that still isn’t for sure what’s going to happen. Wouldn’t be nice if Facebook would just say – x is going to happen on y date. I personally think Facebook likes the hype and marketers like me scrambling around to figure out WTF is going on. Pardon my French, but it’s basically how we feel around here :)

Since f8, there have been numerous articles and blogs about what the new Facebook might look like – and what it might do – for businesses. (Read: What the Changes to Facebook Mean to Marketers and Advertisers). What we do know is that it will change – which will effect our engagement, our metrics and our reports. What we don’t know is if the changes will help, or hurt, our pages. Only time will tell.

Here’s what a Burberry page might look like with the new Timeline. See other pictures in the Mashable blog: How Facebook Timeline Might Radically Change the Look of Brand Pages.

At Lynn, we’re very excited about engaging our pages in the preliminary stages of this release. If given the option to change the layout of our pages, we will be among the first. From my readings, I feel the new format has a lot of potential, but one of the most significant changes includes making the “like” button less important. This will make it more difficult for our posts to land on the news feed and more likely that we’ll see our content in the “ticker.” This will change our engagement, metrics and how we use Facebook as a whole.

So, stay tuned and keep your eye on Facebook to see when the changes will come and what they will be! Are you excited about the new Facebook?

2 Comments

Joshua Glanzer 10/8/11 9:17 am

I await our fate!

MoJames 10/12/11 10:13 am

I think it’s great, just don’t know how appealing it will be to the younger generation…My daughter keeps telling me she is switching to some new “google” social network, can’t remember the name right now. But, overall alot of the younger people who are currently on FB are not quite happy with all the changes. Like you said, time will tell :)