Knight Writer

Coolest sounding year ever…Year of the Dragon

by Joshua | January 23, 2012

That’s right, today is the first day of the Chinese New Year, and this year is the Year of The Dragon.

All the years and their respective animals

So what does that mean besides sounding like a cool martial arts film–it is actually the name of this bad 80s action movie starring, Mickey Rourke.  Well actually, I was not too sure so I did what anyone does in 2012–I Googled it.

Here is what I learned based on the order of my top five Google results:

1. Evidently the Year of the Dragon may cause a Baby Boom in Asia. See according to this Time Magazine article, “the dragon, considered the most auspicious Zodiac sign in Chinese culture, is often associated with good fortune and intelligence and is believed to be the sign of those destined for success,” and so naturally it becomes a popular to have children.

2. The Chinese evidently know how to ring in a new year right. This Euronews.net YouTube video shows the festivities complete with fireworks and giant bell ringing.

3. And in case you’ve been under some rocks, China is a huge trading partner with America. This relationship is examined in this WSJ.com guest column by Ed Gerwin, senior fellow for trade and global economic policy at Third Way, who argues that China faces some important choices this year.

4. And at #4 we have the ubiquitous Wikipedia and it’s reference page about the Dragon and what it means in the Chinese Zodiac. It restates much of what was stated above but also adds that the year of the Dragon is also observed by the Mongolian calendar as well. As a student of history, I find this interesting since the Mongolians often raided China (hence the Great Wall) and eventually conquered it. So it makes one wonder what the ultimate results where of the Mongolian’s aggressive conquering of the culture to the south. Which culture left the most impressions on the other?

5. And last but not least on the short list is a link to a page that describes in detail what it means to be born in the Year of the Dragon. If you were born in a dragon year (remember it means you should already have luck), here is their outline of our base personality. You are…

Innovative
Enterprising
Flexible
Self-assured
Brave
Passionate
Conceited
Tactless
Scrutinizing
Unanticipated
Quick-tempered

Couple of not so hot traits in there (conceited, tactless), but I guess you can make up for it by telling folks you were born in the Year of the Dragon which is by far the coolest sounding year. I guess I’d be conceited too.