Knight Writer

Explaining social media

by Laura | February 8, 2012

I know this won’t come to a shock to anyone (and if it does, well, you’ve obviously been living under a rock), but social media is taking over. It’s everywhere. I love it – don’t get me wrong – but the most difficult part about this social media craze, is trying to keep up. Today, this is the latest and greatest, tomorrow that will be better, and in the future we’ll have something we never even dreamed of.

Developers are coming out with new and improved social media platforms / apps everyday, but only a select few are picked up by the masses. What makes some apps better than others? Ease of use, cost to use and how many other people are actually using it? Not everyone becomes a successful entrepreneur like Steve Jobs or Mark Zuckerberg. In fact, most fail. This video, for example, is a hilarious portrayal of “Sh*t Entrepreneurs Say.”

Almost guaranteed, anyone in the marketing biz will not only know the key words like “A-B testing” and “going viral” by heart, but they will find the above portrayal shockingly real and absolutely hysterical. I know I did. As mentioned in the above video, just put it on Facebook and it will go viral. Well, not so much.

So what are all of the most popular social media sites about – the ones that are actually profitable and making money? FYI – if you have a business that’s not profitable, it’s not successful. Well, I found this on Facebook and thought it was a brilliant (and simple) explanation.

My favorite – Instagram. Yup, I love sharing vintage photos of everything, and the guy who developed it, yeah he might be a billionaire one day. Who knows? Will you be the next successful social media entrepreneur?

2 Comments

Anthony 2/8/12 5:02 pm

Who cares about riches, the Instagram guy got to meet the First Lady and sit with her for the State of the Union.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/01/27/first-lady-michelle-obama-strikes-pose-instagram

Joshua Glanzer 2/9/12 10:56 am

It’s funny ’cause it’s true.