Knight Writer

I got an iPhone!

by Debbie | February 22, 2012

As most of you know if you’ve been following my blog posts, I’m usually waxing nostalgic about anything and everything “back in the day” – but not today. Today I have my two feet firmly planted in the 21st century, thanks to a new accessory I recently acquired.

It’s called an iPhone. Maybe you’ve heard of it. Okay, most of you will probably say, “What took you so long?” I know I’m probably one of the last holdouts to get a Smartphone, having felt perfectly content with my “stupid” phone. But as my cellphone plan was on the road to expiration, I knew I would have to finally bite the bullet. Even Sprint was saddened by the news of my cancellation. I’ve been with them some crazy amount of time – actually since my very first cell phone, dare I say it – back in the day. It’s the only company I’ve known. But move over, Sprint, here comes AT&T…

Knowing my time was coming, I actually started researching – as I am known to do (blame it on my mom, the consummate researcher – she taught me everything I know). Android or iPhone? I knew enough to ask that question and I didn’t know enough to understand the difference. I ventured into a Radio Shack store over the winter break and was greeted by a young man who exclaimed over the joys of his Android. And lo and behold, out came his associate, clutching his iPhone, obviously enamored with his Apple product. I felt like I was in a cellphone commercial and there were the two opposing forces: Android or iPhone. What to do? They gave me a fairly simple explanation of the difference between the two and so I went home to contemplate.

The choice turned out to be easier than I imagined, in as much as it wasn’t my choice anymore. Upon returning from break, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I would be eligible for an iPhone, courtesy of Lynn, to go along with my newly acquired title, internal communication specialist (just a more accurate depiction of what I do rather than writer/editor, which I, of course, still do). And I still answer to myLynn maven or internal communication guru, but you get the idea.

And so, here I am – iPhone and all. I’d like to think – and hope – that I won’t be one of those people walking and texting (and possibly tripping) or looking at my emails at the dinner table or unable to take my eyes off the screen when I’m in a room full of people.  But I must admit that it is certainly a convenience. And I don’t have to miss important photo ops, like this one I took in the caf on one of my first days using it:

I snapped this shot of Liz serenaded by a Mariachi Band as we were having lunch in the caf.

See, it has already helped me fill my Picture of the Day spot if I happen upon a great moment on campus. And it lets me see my emails at a glance, and also helps me communicate better with my fellow PR team members, who of course have iPhones as well. I’m even getting the hang of texting though I’m not sure I’ve gotten the finger motion down. My thumbs don’t seem cut out for those small letters. But I’m getting there …

So, I have finally put my toe in the pool of technology and though I’m just treading water at the moment,  I’m sure that before long I’ll be swimming along with the best of ‘em.