Roll Camera

Good things are worth waiting for…

May 29th, 2009 at 10:42 am by Ashlea

That time has finally arrived. It’s the big announcement, the great ‘hooray!’ and the taste of victory…

My life is finally falling into place and it was well worth the ride. Last Monday, on my return from FL, I received a phone call from Bruce, whom I had been volunteering for. Without even seeing my resume, he said, I want to hire you. A week or so later, here I sit, at my desk in my new job as an associate in a political consulting firm. I couldn’t be happier! Those trecherous 5 months of job searching were well worth finding this gem of a position.

I’ve learned several things in my job search, firstly (as I have said many times before), it’s not what you know, it’s who you know. You have to put yourself out there. I am a prime example: I just volunteered for Bruce, he got to know me, I proved myself and when the time came for him to hire someone else, I was there. A few weeks of working for free can sincerely pay off.

Secondly, be positive -there are always going to be times that you feel as though your life is stagnant and you’re not going anywhere… but really you are even when you’re just standing still. People want to be around people who are happy, confident and positive; it makes them positive. So, if you’re feeling lost, take out a pen and write down five things you are certain about in your life at that very moment. Concentrate on those. And if you feel lost, it’s only because you have a lot of options.

Thirdly, you must always believe in yourself – I always say, if you don’t believe in yourself, then how can you expect others to believe in you?

Shoot for the moon and if you don’t get there you’ll land among the stars…

Things have finally come together. I have an amazing job, I work for the most amazing boss in the entire world. And I have so much to learn… I can’t wait! Last night I went to an Italian Education Gala at the Building Museum. Vice President Biden spoke, as well as Joe Montagne. Apart from having to go through secret service security, the event was very impressive. It was a black tie dinner and I had the opportunity to meet many directors of government affairs and other high profile individuals.

Next week voting on the hill starts again, so things are going to be extremely busy with fundraising events and such. Basically, we are a political consulting firm that assists congress persons (our clients) to raise Political Action Committee funds. It means going to a lot of events,  organizing events and networking. As there are only four of us in the office, there are great opportunities for me. Another side note, I have visa sponsorship! So, granting that everything goes through, I’m here to stay (at least for a while!).

The last bit of news… I’m moving! Actually, just a few blocks down the road, but into a safer ‘hood’. I will be right by Eastern Market, 2 blocks from my boss’ house, 12 blocks from work, 11 blocks from the Capitol and 2 blocks from the metro! It’s in a house with two other girls. It’s a beautiful victorian three-level row house with a back yard and garden and grill. The floors are all antique wood, stainglass windows and my room is on the third floor with a little attached study nook! I move in on Sunday! It’s half the rent I am currently paying, but a thousand times better.

Well, I am going to have to get used to supporting myself… I think a paycheck means I’m cutoff from mom and dad’s support. Of course when this happens everything falls apart – my car won’t start (alternator), I’ve gone way over my minutes, I need medical aid and it is due time that I purchase some formal wear for all these events (my prom dress just doesn’t cut it anymore!).

Plus… I lost my camera last night with all my photos from the gala… when I find it I will post some photos from last night.

Until then, it’s back to work for me :)

Posted in Career, Life | 11 Comments »

11 Responses

1. Morgan Says:

Congrats on the new job! I’m so happy for you that life seems to be falling into place now.

2. Kerri Says:

That is so wonderful you’ve got the job! I am so happy for you and you’ve given great advice. I just graduated from high school but I can still take your advice to heart. :)

Stay positive and good things will come out of it!!

3. Christina Says:

Congrats on the new job Ashlea! Best wishes to you as you embark on this new journey of your life!

4. Liz Says:

Congrats! It couldn’t have happened to a nicer, more deserving person. Thanks for sharing your “lessons learned,” too. They are good reminders to all of us–no matter our stage of life.

5. Ashlea Says:

Thank you for all your advice and support!

6. Fran Turner Says:

Hi Ashlea, I am not surprised that you have reached your goal. I knew when you worked in Admissions with me that you would go far. Congratulations on your job and keep me informed on what’s going on in your life.
    frannie

7. Fran Turner Says:

Hi Ashlea, I am not surprised that you have reached your goal. I knew when you worked in Admissions that you would go far. Congratulations on your job and please keep me informed on what’s happening in your life.
    frannie

8. Crissy Says:

Congrats!! I knew you would find an awesome job! Your going to go really far in life.

9. Matt Roos Says:

“firstly (as I have said many times before), it’s not what you know, it’s who you know”… This got me thinking about Dean Levine… “it’s not whom you know”

Well done, Ashlea! It sounds like things are moving along quite well for you.

10. Virginia Says:

Well, how did the move go? Because as far as I hear, the job and the rest of it is amazing. Congratulations on this next step of the journey!

lots of love

V.

11. AMH Says:

Congrats on the job and I couldn’t agree more – it’s who you know.

Find us on Facebook

Recent Posts

Pages:

Categories

Archives

Search

Meta:

Powered by Wordpress