Working for the Mouse

One Lynn University student's experience in the Disney College Program

Allan - College of Hospitality Management
Scenes from Disney

Now its time to say goodbye to all our company

01/27/08
8:00 pm

Disney

Well, My journey as a Walt Disney World College Program participant has come to its end. It has been a little over a month since my last entry, and about a month since the conclusion of my program. I have been bloging from just days before my program up until now. I have enjoyed sharing some of my experiences with you, but just as my program has concluded following this entry so will my blog. If you continue to have an interest in the Walt Disney World Theme Parks & Resorts College Program I encourage you to check out the official website at www.WDWCollegeProgram.com, and for the stories of various other participants throughout the years, “Mousecatraz” is an unofficial look into several leading aspects of the program, and some highlights of what students may encounter.

Personally, my experience has been beyond amazing! There is so much I have learned from Disney in the past seven months that I never would have been able to learn from a textbook, or sitting inside a classroom. I have learned about cultures not only from our guests, but also from the Cast Members I interacted with. In fact several of my close friends from the program came from Mexico, Dominican Republic, Costa Rica, Brazil, etc. Not to mention all of the amazing people I have met from so many different states within the United States. I was very fortunate to have gotten an excellent work location; in fact I was able to work four attractions, and one very exciting special event. Each location presented challenges to learn from and experiences unique to that attraction.

Beyond working, I also got the opportunity to experience behind the scenes tours, both in personal and group environments throughout the property, and I can’t forget I went on The Disney Cruise Line! I volunteered at the Give Kids the World Village, I took classes with Disney, and so much more that I can only look back on and remember how incredible it all was. I was able to learn and do so much from my experience that I am terrified to be back in the real world again, how much I would love to be back there making magic for those guests, and watching guests enjoy their time together escaping the hassles of everyday life. I will never be able to forget some of the amazing people I interacted with, and even the occasional ones who yelled at me for something that went wrong during their vacation. As Walt Disney said in reference to Cast Members, “They will be the people who give, who like to bring delight to other people, and therefore gain pleasure and satisfaction for themselves.” I can only hope that in my past seven months as a Walt Disney World Cast member I have been able to truly build lasting memories for all those I interacted with, for those are truly the priceless moments our guests look for. So thank you again for allowing me to share my journey with you, I hope you have enjoyed reading about my adventures! And very special thanks for all those friends, Cast Members and even the Guests for making all of these stories! And of course, as always, I hope you have a Magical Day!

Responses

Thanks for blogging about the experience. I did the CP a few years ago and it was an amazing experience I will never forget. Reading about your experience brought back so many wonderful memories. :-)

By Ashley on 01/29/08 at 3:47 pm

Comments have been closed on this blog archive. Visit blogs.lynn.edu for active blogs.